Sunday, July 3, 2011

Where I'm at and where I'm going

So I know we still have a lot to look at ahead of us but I've gotten a sens of the direction I'd like to start working. This isn't new but I'd like to start making some digital pre/post-labs for my chemistry classes as well as developing some templates for digital lab reports.

So you stand in front of a class and hold a beaker, "This is a beaker." "This is how you titrate," etc. I'm thinking about about making a short powerpoint with embedded images/movies/audio that walks student through the lab process. Instead of a simple verbal explanation they would see and hear everything as they we went along. The same thing could be done with the post-lab. I don't spend nearly enough time on the post-lab. I want to create media that shows positive outcomes so that they can compare that to what they did and discuss any discrepencies. I would also like a template for digital lab rports. We have digital cameras with good mvie capability and I would like to have students start using them to capture data/outcomes. I've looked a glogster. I don't know if that is going to work.

I also want to start making some screencasts but that is secondary.

4 comments:

  1. Jim

    Incorporating these digital tools for labs would be a great way to get students engaged. If you had these short videos, and students had access to them during the lab it would eliminate many of them asking for help over and over again. How many times have your heard in the lab "I don't know what to do." You could direct them to your lab videos. Although time consuming, I think it would be worthwhile for your students.
    Kristian

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you had the students make those short videos? (The format could be variable, or whatever you decide. It could be screencast, powerpoint, video, whatever.) But have that be part of the assessment (or BE the actual assessment), either for "this week's lab," or at the end of this weeks lab (post-lab): "please make a video tutorial that would be helpful for any student about to do this lab." Students would need to show/explain procedure, equipment, setup;"this is how you titrate," etc. They could share these on a class blog, class wiki, or submit to you first for evaluation (and then you share more broadly).

    The benefits are three-fold:
    1) you could use some of the better videos the following year to show students as part of a pre-lab. Students teaching students.

    2) It would take the "time consuming" part (from Kristian's comment above) and turn it into a productive use of the students' time, while demonstrating to you that they actually understand the lab.

    3) Students learn a useful communication tool (editing video, making podcasts, speaking clearly, working with partners).

    If we think about what we traditionally hand/show students in order to clarify and instruct (in any subject) and start to use that as the goal (in terms of what we have students produce), they can help each other out AND get more involved than they might have been otherwise. As teachers, we will still have to clarify and instruct at some level (that is still our job, right?), but it's a shift away from dispensing information, and moving more towards the role of coach.

    I hadn't thought so much about making videos for pre-labs, but it's a cool idea, and I'm glad you've got me thinking about switching the process around!

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the idea of using video clips for pre-lab purposes. Just think of the time and effort you could save in the long run. Preparing for labs could be much simpler. It would also be neat to make a video of costly/messy demos. They could be done once, recorded, and them re-broadcast to your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same thought as Scott. You could have the students come up with their own video project (Power point, video, etc) on science safety. It would help cement the safety process for them and also give you a valuable assessment tool. It would have the added benefit of you not becoming the talking head teacher. Bueller Bueller
    Just a thought! ~Dana

    ReplyDelete