Friday, June 24, 2011

Science & Literacy and the "new" Common Core"

I'm going to talk about the the Science & Literacy article and the science Common Core together. The literacy article reall y resonated with me. I've always preferred the term & outlook of performance expectations rather than objectives. Somehow I feel "performance expectations" puts more of the ownership on the students. Do this rather than get here.

I used many explicit reading strategies at my first school then I do now. I think that was becasue the reading level was so much more of an issue. The problem for me me was "they can't read and they won'y read." Now I'm in more of a "they can read but they won't read." Does explicit translate into assigned-homework-graded?

Metacognition: Get teenagers to become aware of their own thinking & learning. Working on that.

The age old question: Are we science teachers or reading teachers? The vast majority of my students are not going to remember any abbreciable amount of chemistry after a few months/years. They just won't. Most are gonig to have to continue reading. And most are not very good at it.

I can live with the Common Core. Lots of process and analysis. I like the way they maintain the threads and just pump up the verbs-compare & contrast becomes synthesize, translate becomes integrate.

I think there has to be much more reading beyond the text (which they read of course).

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you are saying. I teach first grade and I've been focusing on cognitive guiding with my students. I want to to be able to tell me how and why and walk me through the process. It is amazing how difficult it is at the beginning of the year for the students to be able to articulate the how instead of just blurting the answer.

    ReplyDelete